river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>
Subject Re: Change for PreferredClassLoader its way of determining the existence of PREFERRED.LIST ?
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2007 15:09:43 GMT
Mark Brouwer wrote:
> Peter Jones wrote:
>
>> Ah, OK, now I understand your proposal.
>

> I'm glad Peter :-)
>
>> The biggest concern that I can think of right now, which would argue
>> for this approach being only optionally enabled, is that it would
>> deoptimize (with respect to the current implementation) the case of
>> the first URL in the codebase pointing to a JAR file that definitely
>> does not exist, which (as previously described) is not intended to
>> necessarily result in an overall class/resource loading failure.  Not
>> that the importance of that case is obvious...
>
> I think you shouldn't have made that last remark ... It will be hard to
> tell the overall effect but for now I make it optionally. If somebody
> else has a take on this please mention it. I will create a JIRA issue
> for this improvement soon.

I think that the behavior of fallback URLs is useful.  Given the framework that
exists, I think that the current implementation is applicable.  But, I also
think that making this a more described behavior in a new platform
RMIClassLoaderSPI implementation with different annotations would also be
something to investigate.  That SPI would perhaps be incompatible with existing
MarshalledObject annotation formats, so it would be equivalent to using a custom
URL protocol handler from the perspective that you'd have to have support for it
everywhere that your codebase URLs went.

Gregg Wonderly