river-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Brouwer <mark.brou...@cheiron.org>
Subject Re: Jini documentation [Was: Re: How to start from here?]
Date Fri, 12 Jan 2007 08:23:54 GMT
Brian Murphy wrote:
> On 1/9/07, Dan Creswell <dan@dcrdev.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> I must admit, I'm a little concerned about all these rules we seem to
>> want to put in place up front in the absence of experience in this new
>> environment.
>
> +1

So far I think the request for rules is not that high as one might
conclude from the remark in Dan's posting, but I admit I was the first
one to use that word in the documentation mail. Other than the usage of
JIRA I can't come up with real request for rules. Phil was so kind to
draft a patch and not that many people expressed their opinion about it,
why I ask myself already for a few days.

I guess all of us are eagerly waiting for the initial source drop to get
'coding', but before it is there I don't think it is harmful if we share
opinions about what kind of guidelines we think might be necessary, or
that from adhoc decisions we expect to have them emerge.

A guideline can be modified, no need to carve them in stone, but I think
for people looking to participate it is handy when there is something
that reflects the how we think we want to work. There are engineering
practices used that resulted in the excellent quality of the JTSK and to
the fine standards/specifications we have today. I don't know to what
extend some of the processes used by the Jini team scale in an ASF
project, or even if it is possible to maintain some of them at all, or
whether we should want, but I think at least we should discuss these
things here.

Another example: split or merge? On the Internet I hear talk about
repackaging of the JTSK, I expressed my opinion (although very shallow)
as did Bob and Gregg, everyone else seems to be rather silent on this
matter here. We can change things later, but we know how inertia works,
IMHO it would be nice to have at least some of this discussion before
the ServiceUI and JTSK are checked-in.

Please, please, please, don't read this as an attack on anyone, but so
far I can't say there are many opinions expressed.
--
Mark