river-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Brouwer <mark.brou...@cheiron.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Source drop and bug database
Date Fri, 05 Jan 2007 10:01:12 GMT
Hi Dan,

Dan Creswell wrote:
> Mark Brouwer wrote:
>> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>> I think that it's something that doesn't need to be decided up front -
>>> it's something that can evolve as the community does.
>> While I understand it is quite easy to move things around in the
>> repository, it is always troubles for those working on the project. So a
>> little bit of thinking up front won't do any harm.
>>

> Agreed but do you not feel like we're still guessing for the most part?
>
> Especially as we haven't got much in the way of feedback from the
> community to give us a hint as to how they might want things done?

Maybe I'm having a non-ASF compliant opinion here, for which no doubt I
will be keelhauled if so. But we have an initial committer list, that
means we have enough people willing to work here so we can move forward
in a way that *we* want, biased of course by each person own supporters ;-).

Anybody else can raise his voice and become involved and I think the
people here have shown in length to listen and discuss any issue brought
up, so I'm not afraid that we block participation. But I am of the
opinion we should stop trying and waiting to listen to the silent mass
(for each of us represents an unknown percentage of the silent Jini
community).

People know the River project has started, based on the number of
subscribers I think a lot have confidence in this initial committer list
to make the right decisions till it gets rolling. If that turns out to
be a bad assumption they are punished for their lack of interest ;-)
and will likely raise their voice somewhere in the future.

But let me add my new disclaimer for this year:

"None of my opinions are as strong in reality as my words might
indicate, it is just a lack of fine social capabilities.".
--
Mark