river-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Brouwer <mark.brou...@cheiron.org>
Subject Re: new site added to SVN and published
Date Thu, 04 Jan 2007 11:04:01 GMT
Phil Steitz wrote:

>> > And maybe I'm completely out of bounds here but I think that even some
>> > form of issue planning (in what version to expect what) can be
>> > beneficial as well, JIRA is great for that too.
>>
>> Yep.  It is.  But be careful to keep things as open and welcoming to
>> volunteers.  Rigid process is off-putting to some people.
>

> +1
>
> There is a balance here to be struck.  The process that I outlined was for
> submissions by non-committers, which requires that patches be submitted and
> I think it is in general much better to have the patches attached to Jira
> tickets than to have them arrive in emails.

I personally favor a uniform way of working between committers and
non-committers, the only difference is that committers have checkin
permissions, the ability to resolve issues in JIRA [1] and assuming we
want all committers to be part of the PMC a binding vote if that turns
out to be valuable.

[1] as the ASF runs the Enterprise edition of JIRA I assume we can
setup our own permission schemes, etc. for the project?

Also can somebody show me a good project where they use JIRA for
submitting the patches by (non-)committers, I have the tendency to
always pick the wrong ones for my samples.

> That's a great practice (discuss on list, summarize in ticket); but hard to
> get volunteers to do uniformly.  Good examples tend to get followed, though
> ;-)

In general they do ... :-)
--
Mark