river-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Brouwer <mark.brou...@cheiron.org>
Subject How to start from here?
Date Tue, 02 Jan 2007 15:48:09 GMT
Hi all,

First best wishes for 2007 to you all and Geir thanks for creating the
mailing lists.

Now that we can start with the River project I'm curious to know how to
proceed from here. From the top of my head I come up with the following
items for discussion:

1) source drop and what version. Last public version of the Starter
    kit code, or the latest stable version from Sun repository?

2) to what level of J2SE (Java SE) are we going to restrict ourselves
    at this stage?

3) when to convert from com.sun.jini to org.apache.<river?>, right away
    or after we have accepted patches lingering around the Internet and
    the codebase has stabilized;

4) do we need additional process guidelines, standards, etc.

5) the creation of a road map for the project with short-term and
    mid-term goals, such as (as an example but might reflect my
    opinion):

      - splitting the project in various pieces;
      - defining a platform;
      - support for 'Jini accross the firewall'.

And likely a lot of things more that don't cross my mind at this moment.
Maybe it is a good thing to collect all items to be discussed before
actually discussing them.

Any thoughts,
--
Mark