river-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject Re: How to start from here?
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2007 15:03:07 GMT
See small comment interspersed.

Cheers,

Greg.

On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 04:32, Dan Creswell wrote:

> > (Mark Brouwer)
> > But specs that are required for a reimplementation or that tell you what
> > to expect in the not that less straightforward cases (which my mind
> > always tend to look for) should IMO be where they belong and that is
> > close as possible to the code that I have to my avail in my IDE.
> >

> Hmmm, knowing you as I do, I'm not surprised - me, I prefer the specs
> separate and I cross ref into JavaDoc when I need to.
>
> Ugh, it's a little too subjective for me.

I'd be happier with separate specifications, however that suggestion has
gone over like an iron balloon (translation for non-English speakers: it
was suggested and debated at length, and wasn't taken up by the
community).  So in cases where the API and the specification are
inseparable (like Mark suggests below), I agree with Mark that we may as
well have the spec inside the package documentation.  That way it is
subject to version control and the normal suggest/discuss/vote/commit
process.

One qualifier on the suggestion; I'd only want specs rolled in with
generic API's.  For instance the JavaSpaces spec would be fine in the
net.jini.space package, but not with the Outrigger implementation.