reef-dev mailing list archives

From "Julia Wang (QIUHE)" <Qiuhe.W...@microsoft.com.INVALID>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL REEF.NET] Adding an overwrite variable to IFileSystem CopyFromLocal
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2018 06:16:06 GMT
That make sense. So if override is false and remote file already exist, will it throw exception?

-Julia

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Inglis <msinglft@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 4:27 PM
To: dev@reef.apache.org
Subject: [PROPOSAL REEF.NET] Adding an overwrite variable to IFileSystem CopyFromLocal

Hello,

I noticed that some of the file implementations like LocalFileSystem and Azure Blob will overwrite
the file on a remote file system when copying from the client. However HDFS file implementation
does not overwrite.

This should have a consistent behavior. Also I want to control if the overwrite is done or
not. So I would like to make the following proposal:
1) Modify the IFileSystem.CopyFromLocal API to take in an overwrite boolean parameter
2) The overwrite parameter will default to true

Here is what the api will look like:
void CopyFromLocal(string localFileName, Uri remoteFileUri, bool overwrite = true);

NOTE: With this change the current behavior in HDFS as overwrite will now be true.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Scott