reef-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Weimer <mar...@weimo.de>
Subject Re: REEF.Net Evaluator Semantics
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2018 15:50:23 GMT
On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 8:46 AM,  <tcondie.apache@gmail.com> wrote:
> Within the code of TaskRuntime#Suspend the following comment exists:
>
> // An Exception in suspend should crash the Evaluator.
>
> Call suspend handler with no exception catch, which indeed crashes the
> evaluator with no trace of the task exception i.e., the task exception is
> lost.

This is clearly wrong. We should never have an exception in user code
that we swallow. Does this at least raise a `FailedEvaluator` on the
Driver side with enough information to the app as to why it crashed?

> Meanwhile, on the Java side (as evident from Sergiy's tests), it would seem
> that the Evaluator does not crash on task handler exceptions. Looking into
> the equivalent TaskRuntime (in Java), it would also seem that exceptions
> raised in all task handlers only update the status of the task (to failed
> with the exception information).

This seems correct. Handling such exceptions in the Driver is
difficult, though. But I don't see how we can help in REEF, other than
by forwarding the exception to the Driver.

Markus