reef-dev mailing list archives

From Tyson Condie <tcondie.apa...@gmail.com>
Subject gRPC based Java Bridge
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2018 16:59:11 GMT
Hello,

We (myself, Doug Service and Scott Inglis) are in the process of developing
a new REEF Java Bridge that will use a two process solution to communicate
between the core Java Driver and an application Driver, which could be
implemented in an alternative language e.g., C#.

Communication between these two worlds will occur over gRPC using protocol
buffers 3.5 as the data format. However, the code will be structured in a
way that minimizes such dependencies in the case that an alternative/better
communication medium presents itself.

Current status: the core Java Driver is nearly code complete and I am
working on an application (client) Driver in Java (as well) that can be
used as a template for the C# application Driver, and for authoring unit
tests. Please expect a pull request with these changes in the coming days.
Concurrently, Doug Service and Scott Inglis will be developing a C# based
application Driver.

The core Java Driver and Java client/application Driver changes can be
tracked via Jira 2002 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/REEF-2002),
which is a subtask to Jira 335 for removing the managed C++ Java bridge.

Your feedback would be most welcome!

Thanks
Tyson