reef-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Weimer <mar...@weimo.de>
Subject Re: gRPC based Java Bridge
Date Sun, 15 Apr 2018 16:40:33 GMT
On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 12:53 AM, Byung-Gon Chun <bgchun@gmail.com> wrote:
> Both Thrift and gRPC sound reasonable. Is there any reason to choose gRPC
> over Thrift?

There seems to be a lot of momentum towards gRPC right now. It has
solid support for .NET, and uses HTTP2 as its transport layer. The
former is very interesting to us, the latter makes things much, much
easier on clusters: People like to use proxies and redirects and other
features of HTTP in their cluster operations.

But this raises a broader question: As we take a dependency on gRPC,
we could eliminate a bunch of code in REEF, as it replaces both the
Avro and the Netty layers of Wake. WDYT about that?

Thanks,

Markus