reef-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Weimer <mar...@weimo.de>
Subject Re: JIRA-2003
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2018 21:10:39 GMT
On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 10:20 AM, <tcondie.apache@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have created a Jira (REEF-2003) that proposes the removal of Java on the C# client
for the revised bridge. After some investigation, I discovered that the current Java-CLR bridge
launches the initial job via Java, after which an HTTP connection is established with the
(running) C# driver for control and status messaging i.e., C# does not use the Java client
to kill jobs or inquire about their status. The short question is whether we should continue
with this design (requiring Java to be installed on the client) or find a way to avoid Java
altogether on the client to alleviate the burden/dependency of Java.

Can we think of this as phases? For example:

Phase I is to use Java for job submission, but the entire API is .NET.
This is basically what it is today.

Phase II replaces Java when dealing with runtimes that aren't Java
affinitized. What I mean by that is not Mesos or YARN. Those
environments are historically very Java-heavy and difficult to make
work with other language environments. Also, people targeting them
will more likely be comfortable with a Java dependencies. The runtimes
which would have no Java dependency in this phase would be local and
Azure Batch.

Phase III replaces Java entirely on the client, for all runtimes. This
might coincide with a Java-free driver, but doesn't have to.

WDYT?

Markus