reef-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Weimer <mar...@weimo.de>
Subject Re: Java classpath separator
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2018 21:58:55 GMT
On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 12:15 PM, Reed Umbrasas <
ryumbra@microsoft.com.invalid> wrote:

> I was looking at how the JavaLaunchCommandBuilder.java (
> https://github.com/apache/reef/blob/master/lang/java/
> reef-common/src/main/java/org/apache/reef/runtime/common/launch/
> JavaLaunchCommandBuilder.java#L178) is implemented. It uses
> "File.pathSeparatorChar" to separate paths in Java classpath. So it's
> separated with semi-colons in Windows and colons in Linux. This works fine
> when both the client and the remote cluster are running the same OS.
> However, when starting a REEF job from Windows, classpath gets separated
> with semi-colons which fails when trying to run the job on a Linux cluster.
>
> Has this issue been reported/addressed before? Are there any
> recommendations on how to handle it? (Happy to write code, just wanted to
> hear people's thoughts)

I know *of* the issue, but I don't think this has been addressed. In fact,
I believe it was one of the reasons for having an HDInsight runtime in
addition to a YARN runtime. IIRC, the HDI runtime hard codes the separator.

Is the same possible in your use case? If not, we might want to make this
configurable.

Markus