reef-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Weimer <mar...@weimo.de>
Subject Dependency on protobuf-net seems inconsistent
Date Fri, 28 Jul 2017 16:12:34 GMT
Hi,

I just stumbled across a curious issues: We seem to depend on two
different versions of protobuf-net.

In `Org.Apache.REEF.Client.nuspec`, line 40, we declare:

```
<dependency id="protobuf-net" version="2.0.0.668" />
```

Similarly ,`Org.Apache.REEF.Common\packages.config` refers to the same version:

```
<package id="protobuf-net" version="2.0.0.668" targetFramework="net45" />
```

There are many more instances of this in `.nuspecs` and `package.config` files.

Meanwhile, `build.props` defines in line 72:

```
<ProtobufVersion>2.1.0</ProtobufVersion>
```

Similarly, `build.DotNet.props` defines in line 43:

```
<ProtobufVersion>2.1.0</ProtobufVersion>
```

I assume this is a problem? If so, we should probably fix it before
the release and update all references to `2.1.0` and validate that
this works.

But this also raises another question for me: I merged the PR that did
this update based on the fact that things compiled on my machine and
tests passed. This issue clearly is machine-discoverable. Hence, I
wonder whether someone knows of tooling for .NET that can detect &
report these inconsistencies as part of the build? In Java, Maven
raises a warning when different projects in the same build have the
same dependency in different versions.

Markus