reef-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Weimer <mar...@weimo.de>
Subject Re: Does reef build on the mac
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2017 01:48:16 GMT
On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 3:35 PM, Saikat Kanjilal <sxk1969@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not to sound like an organizational nazi :) but is it possible to move the
> root level pom file into the lang\java directory , it seems like the .net
> side is self contained and we should use that consistency for the build
> mechanisms on the java side as well.

That seems feasible. However, we use the pom in the root directory to
also trigger a scan of the .NET code for compliance with our license
header requirement. If we have a replacement for that in msbuild, we
could move the pom.

>  Also there are times when one
> wishes to only build some of the components so it'd also be good to
> document the build dependency hierarchy in the build.md as well, again for
> a beginner level person coming into the project it helps to understand this
> dependency while debugging/building.

That is less likely. The build dependencies are all encoded in the
POMs, and the maintenance of an additional verbatim description in a
text file is unlikely to succeed. Also, build systems are generally
doing an OK job at identifying which parts of a project need to be
rebuilt after changes.

Markus