reef-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Weimer <mar...@weimo.de>
Subject Re: Network references Driver
Date Mon, 08 May 2017 17:02:15 GMT
On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 6:10 PM, Douglas Service <dsopsrc@gmail.com> wrote:
> Currently Org.Apache.REEF.Network references Org.Apache.REEF.Driver due to
> using statements in Network\Group\Driver* (see below). This state of
> affairs prevents referencing networking in the bridge to facilitate
> splitting the Java and C# sides and removing managed C++.

Why does the reference prevent changes? Does it create a circular dependency?

> Since basic networking is a low level service that almost any higher level system
> should be able to use, I propose the Network Group Driver code move out of
> networking. Either into the bridge or a new project.

This would be difficult. The Group Communications service has, like
many services, a Driver side and an Evaluator side. We have the same
structure in other cases such as IPartitionedDataSet. Hence, we need
to find a way where this structure of referencing the Driver API from
other places doesn't cause problems.

For instance, we could move all the Driver APIs into REEF Common,
which mimics the structure we have on the Java side.

Markus