reef-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Weimer <mar...@weimo.de>
Subject Re: Which network classes to use on C# side
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2017 20:58:05 GMT
On 2017-04-06 12:23 PM, Douglas Service wrote:
> Questions: I need to provide message transport between the
> application and the driver. [...] Is there a good example on the C#
> side of application/driver two way messaging?

To send a message to a Task, you can use `IRunningTask.Send()` message
on the Driver.

For the return channel, you have two options:

(1) You can just return something from the Task's `call` method.

(2) Provide & bind an implementation of `ITaskMessageSource` with your
Task. That way, the Evaluator will ask the Task to provide information
on each heartbeat.

> BTW I am seeing asymmetries between the C# and Java side. For
> example, the Java DriverConfiguration has ON_CLIENT_MESSAGE and an
> equivalent does not exist on the C# side.Is there a reason for this
> and it would be much work to implement? It seems to me that messaging
> between the application/client and driver but fundamental to REEF and
> easy to configure.

Agreed. The lack of a proper C# client to REEF is a long standing,
annoying issue. And the reason those configurations don't exist is that
we don't have a complete C# client.

> The Java side also has a ClientConfiguration, but the C# side only
> has LocalRuntimeClientConfiguration, YARNClientConfiguration, etc but
> no ClientConfiguration.

Same reason. REEF.NET presently does not have a client in the same sense
that REEF/Java does.

Markus