reef-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Weimer <mar...@weimo.de>
Subject Re: [Discuss] How to deal with `ITask.Dispose()` / `Task.close()` exceptions
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2017 19:49:25 GMT
> I remember the original thinking was if dispose throws exception, meaning the resource
was not cleared most possibly, therefore we should crash the Evaluator.

That makes sense and justifies the current implementation in REEF.NET.
In that current implementation, we return a result and crash the
Evaluator. Is that the desired behavior?

> In fault tolerant scenarios, we need to know if an evaluator is still re-usable in recovery
case.

An alternative would be to consider this something the application
Driver has to deal with. If we treated an exception from `.Dispose`
and `.close` as a Task failure, the Driver would receive a
`FailedTask`. The exception within would allow it to make a
determination whether or not the Evaluator is still usable.

Markus