reef-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Mariia Mykhailova <>
Subject RE: A plan for reef-1583
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2017 20:50:34 GMT

The instructions for running unit tests for .NET code and description of our CI setup for
.NET can be found at


-----Original Message-----
From: Julia Wang (QIUHE) [] 
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 1:28 PM
Subject: RE: A plan for reef-1583

Hi Saikat,

"One thing I would like to see is for the unit tests to get automatically run before every
check in within the csharp codebase"

We have AppVeyor to run .Net tests for every push to a branch during code review time. You
can also run .Net tests on a command line with msbuild command just like mvn clean install.
 What others are you looking for? 


-----Original Message-----
From: Saikat Kanjilal [] 
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 1:02 PM
Subject: A plan for reef-1583

For the past few days I've been working on a custom implementation of an in memory cache so
that we are not forcefully needing to make the transition to .net framework 451, here are
our options at this point, I wanted to finish the implementation and the unit tests for this
before I articulated a plan:

What needs to be done to moving to .net framework 451?
- Upgrade the Org.Apache.Reef.Network project to use 451
- Figure out what other dependent projects need upgrading as well
- No need to use my custom cache, we can try to move forward with Microsfot.Extensions.Memory.MemoryCache
- Do a deep analysis on the ramifications on making this upgrade across all of the codebase,
do we need to fix unit/integration tests as well
- Refactor the code to get past the portability analyzer warnings (yes this will occure even
after upgrading to 451)

What if we don't upgrade
 - I've attached a pull request to REEF-1583, we can use my custom in memory cache, it works
as far as unit tests are concerned , will need to figure out if we need additional integration
- If we go this route I will need to fix the other portability analyzer warnings by not upgrading
other parts of the code as well

How long to make this decision: Well it'll be a committer/community decision , I'd ideally
like to make this in the next few days (namely 2-3

One thing I would like to see is for the unit tests to get automatically run before every
check in within the csharp codebase (the equivalent of doing mvn clean install in java), I
would love some ideas on how to make this happen.

Thanks in advance for helping me with this.
View raw message