reef-dev mailing list archives

From Douglas Service <dsop...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Transition Proposal of .NET 4.5 Projects to .NET Core (REEF-1237, REEF-1568, REEF-1578)
Date Fri, 03 Mar 2017 01:49:26 GMT
One the problems we discoverd is that since the work is not tracked in JIRA
and the list does not initially see any checkins, it appears that no
progress is being made. In support of the Apache REEF Linux builds and .NET
Core compatibility I

1) Tracked down the latest version of the Microsoft.Hadoop package.
2) Extracted the MS Avro for C# code for Avro core, tools, and tests into
new projects.
3) Modified all of the MS Avro tests so they run without the rest of the
Microsoft.Hadoop package.
4) Switched the unit tests from the Microsoft framework to XUnit.
5) Created VS 2017 projects for a .NET Core 1.1 build for which there was
almost no documentation.
6) Fixed all of the .NET Core 1.1 incompatibilities.
7) Put a .NET Core 1.1 nuget package on nuget.org.
8) Created a test application that pulled the nuget package and verified MS
Avro worked on .NET Core .1.1 on both windows and linux.

Then, when I by chance met one of the .NET team members who offered to get
us to .NET Core 2.0, it took he and I a couple of days to get a .NET Core
2.0 build working since .NET Core 2.0 was just becoming public and they had
to put in some bug fixes in .NET Core 2.0 for us to get a fully functional
build of MS Avro on .NET Core 2.0.

Scott then picked up the task and worked with the .NET team representatives
to produce project files for MS Avro that could build .NET 4.5, .NET 4.6,
.NET Core 2.0, and .NET Standard 2.0.

The result of this work is we now have model project files that support all
of our target platforms and a version of Avro for C# that allows use to
move to .NET Core 2.0 and build on linux.

I originally did not think it was appropriate to open a JIRA since the work
did not result in a direct check in to Apache REEF. However, since the only
purpose of the work was to get REEF to .NET Core 2.0 and building on Linux,
I propose that in the future this type of work is tracked by a JIRA and the
JIRA is updated regularly by comments with status so the whole list knows
what is happening.

Doug