reef-dev mailing list archives

From Douglas Service <dsop...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Protobuf version upgrade?
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2016 01:31:10 GMT
There is an announcement for new version of .NET called .NET standard 2.0
that appears to follow .NET Core fairly soon https://blogs.msdn.
microsoft.com/dotnet/2016/09/26/introducing-net-standard/ which would make
it much easier for us to continue using Avro with C# and remove the need to
convert all of our current usage of Avro to protobuf. We would most likely
need to pull the code base for the C# version of Avro we currently use into
REEF, fix a small number of compatibility issues (much smaller than for
.NET Core 1.0 or 1.1), and then try to eventually get the features we need
which are different from the Apache Avro C# API merged into Apache Avro.

Thoughts?

Doug