reef-dev mailing list archives

From Mariia Mykhailova <mamyk...@microsoft.com>
Subject Drop support for VS2013 in REEF.NET
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2016 20:07:14 GMT
Hi,

We've added support for building REEF.NET in VS2015 half a year ago. Originally  we intended
for it to replace VS2013, but since we've found a way to support building REEF in both VS2013
and VS2015 we allowed the two to coexist peacefully.

I feel that support for both VS2015 and VS2013 is inconvenient in the long term. We can't
benefit from new features in C# 6 and .NET 4.6 as long as we must provide compatibility with
old runtime.

Let's discuss whether it's possible to drop support for VS2013 and what work is required.

-          We need to make sure all clusters which run REEF-based jobs have .NET 4.6 framework
installed.

-          Our build tools need to be updated to support C# 6. For example, StyleCop treats
some C# 6 features as violations even when building with VS2015.

We should also create an AppVeyor flavor that would run CI using VS2013 to ensure this compatibility
while we need it. Right now our CI doesn't detect build failures in VS2013.

-Mariia