reef-dev mailing list archives

From Mariia Mykhailova <mamyk...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: .Net Core Compatibility
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2016 18:17:10 GMT
When we worked on Checkstyle/Findbugs issues, we enabled checks which we've already fixed in
Checkstyle configuration, and they became build breaks for existing build process, while other
violations were still allowed.

Ideally we should have something similar here, a step of the build which runs a subset of
checks and fails if any check which is already fixed is violated. Does CoreCLR portability
analyzer support such use? Such approach would also require fixing issues not per-project
but per-issue (or configuring different sets of checks for different projects, but I think
this might be more complicated, we did it for Checkstyle only for one final check)

Alternatively we could have a dedicated build job in AppVeyor which focuses on running portability
analyzer and reports the number of violations, and this number must not increase for each
PR.

-Mariia

-----Original Message-----
From: Markus Weimer [mailto:markus@weimo.de]
Sent: Wednesday, September 7, 2016 8:33 AM
To: dev@reef.apache.org
Subject: Re: .Net Core Compatibility

On 2016-09-02 1:12 PM, Shravan Matthur Narayanamurthy wrote:
> As you might have noticed, there is work in REEF-334 that is trying to
> enable use of REEF.Net on linux by making the REEF.Net code CoreCLR
> compliant.

Much appreciated!

> One idea that has been floating around is to make the .Net Core
> portability analyzer a part of our build infrastructure and check for
> regressions.

This should be doable. Does the analyzer need to be installed or can we e.g. make a MBSBuild
task to download the analyzer to our build machines and apply it?

> Another is to create a new solution targeted for CoreCLR and including
> the files that have been deemed compliant and make building this
> solution a step in our build infrastructure.

This should, in principle, be better. But maintaining multiple build files could be more of
a challenge than is worth it. Maybe we do that once full sub-projects compile on CoreCLR?
I believe for this to work, all REEF devs will have to also install CoreCLR on their machines,
right?

Markus