reef-dev mailing list archives

From Dhruv Mahajan <dhruv.maha...@gmail.com>
Subject IMRU usage question
Date Fri, 20 May 2016 20:54:42 GMT
Hi

I have a question. IMRU mappers can be used in two scenarios:

a) Mappers do not need to maintain any state from one iteration to next.
b) Mappers need to maintain state form one iteration to next. This is
common in ML algorithms. In this case again I have two options: Update
function tells mapper hat to do, it does it, update its state and wait for
next command. Another option is that mappers already know what operations
to do in next iterations and use update task to do AllReduce operation. Any
reason one option is preferred over another? I could not think of any.

Thanks
Dhruv