reef-dev mailing list archives

From Dhruv Mahajan <dhruv.maha...@gmail.com>
Subject Sequential driver
Date Tue, 19 Apr 2016 21:48:11 GMT
Hi

In most applications (From ML perspective) I have worked on, I do not have
any need for all the handlers coming in async fashion. I am happy as long
as I get them in some sequence. However, I am constantly annoyed by the
fact that I have to apply additional locks or use concurrent data
structures and debug race conditions. Especially for someone using and
implementing reef driver for first time. On the other hand, if reef has a
Sequential driver option, where I am guaranteed that at a time I can only
be in one of the handlers, this sequential access makes life simple for
many applications. On top of this - if I introduce some more optional logic
like give me all Allocated evaluator calls before Active Context calls and
all Active Contexts before Running tasks and so on we also get some
synchronization barriers which further makes life easier for many
applications IMRU as one good example.

Thoughts?

Dhruv