reef-dev mailing list archives

From Mariia Mykhailova <mamyk...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Location of build information
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2016 01:32:18 GMT
Information on building and running tests is something that changes fairly often. I'd rather
keep it all in wiki and have README.md point to it, instead of the other way around, because
then we can improve our instructions without creating separate JIRAs, PRs, reviews etc. The
less the "cost" of improving instructions is, the better they are.

-Mariia

-----Original Message-----
From: Markus Weimer [mailto:markus@weimo.de]
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2016 5:35 PM
To: dev@reef.apache.org
Subject: Location of build information

Hi,

we replicate the instructions to build REEF between the wiki and the README.md. This seems
overly complicated to me, as we have to keep them in sync.

It seems common practice in many other OSS projects to keep the build instructions strictly
with the source, e.g. in a file https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=BUILDING.md&data=01%7c01%7cmamykhai%40microsoft.com%7cd8ae8ae9b5cd473d132b08d34c69b4ce%7c72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7c1&sdata=7MkCHNbS0gKLcjbUIrL1HNYS7zFm14JpPhAvCc1siy4%3d
or BUILD.md. Should we do the same? E.g. replace the build instructions on the wiki with a
link to such a file?

Or, maybe, have a `docs` folder in our source code that contains this information and also
allows us to collect additional documentation in the future?

Markus