reef-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Weimer <mar...@weimo.de>
Subject [DISCUSS] Apache REEF is ...
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2016 21:58:33 GMT
Hi,

we frequently have the need to summarize REEF in a single sentence, e.g.
in our README.md, talk announcements, board reports etc. We have
iterated through many ways of doing that in the past. However, I think
it might help to drive some consensus around this.

Our current README.md proclaims (Option A):

> Apache REEF™ (Retainable Evaluator Execution Framework) is a
> scale-out computing fabric that simplifies the development of Big
> Data applications on top of resource managers (e.g., Apache YARN and
> Mesos).

I don't think that is terribly accurate. Sergey suggested as part of
REEF-1252 to change it to something like (Option B):

> Apache REEF is a standard library for building distributed systems
> that simplifies the development of Big Data applications on top of
> resource managers (e.g., Apache Hadoop YARN and Apache Mesos).

Our website suggests (Option C):

> REEF, the Retainable Evaluator Execution Framework, is our approach
> to simplify and unify the lower layers of big data systems on modern
> resource managers.

And the SIGMOD paper uses the following text in its abstract (Option D):

> This paper presents REEF, a development framework that provides a
> control-plane for scheduling and coordinating task-level (data-plane)
> work on cluster resources obtained from a Resource Manager.

Of those, I like option B the best, but would propose a slight
simplification (Option E):

> Apache REEF is a standard library for building distributed
> applications on top of cluster resource managers (e.g., Apache Hadoop
> YARN and Apache Mesos).

What do you think?

Markus