reef-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Weimer <mar...@weimo.de>
Subject Re: REEF Services
Date Thu, 25 Feb 2016 18:30:09 GMT
Hi,

Shravan and I just had a bit of a brainstorm on this least clear concept
of the REEF API. Here is what we came up with as a proposal:

  (1) Remove the explicit notion of `Service` from the API. If an
      application wants to make sure objects are instantiated before
      the Tasks or other Contexts are spawned, those objects can be
      depended upon by the `ContextStart` handlers.

  (2) Rename `ServiceConfiguration` and `ServiceInjector` and related
      items to `SharedContextConfiguration` and
      `SharedContextInjector`. That way, their function is clear: Stuff
      in them will be inherited by Contexts spawned. Stuff in the
      `ContextConfiguration` and `ContextInjector` won't be. I use
      "stuff" here as an overloaded technical term: It denotes all the
      bindings inside a `Configuration` as well as all the already
      created instances in an `Injector.

Shravan, did I capture our conversation correctly?

Does this make sense to anybody but Shravan & me?

Markus