reef-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Weimer <mar...@weimo.de>
Subject Re: Ability to support multiple Tasks on an Evaluator
Date Thu, 28 Jan 2016 00:38:20 GMT
On 2016-01-27 15:47, Andrew Chung wrote:
> The request to support multiple Tasks on a single Evaluator has been
> coming up quite a bit internally within Microsoft. Is this a feature
> that everyone would like to use? Should this be in core REEF? Or
> should this be built as an application on top of REEF?

+1 on treating it as a service like naming service or the group
communications service. If possible, we should avoid breakage of core APIs.

That said, if we don't have the needed hooks for a layer like this, then
we should by all means add more hooks into core REEF.

One question I have is whether or not today's applications need to be
able to execute on this new multi-task layer. If not, this new
functionality can be implemented by a single `Task` on the Evaluator
side and presented as a bunch of new APIs / Events / Event Handlers on
the Driver side.

Or am I missing something?

Markus