reef-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Weimer <mar...@weimo.de>
Subject Re: xUnit error messages?
Date Thu, 21 Jan 2016 20:49:44 GMT
On 2016-01-19 15:26, Anupam wrote:
> Take a look at this: https://github.com/xunit/xunit/issues/350 ; Nice
> discussion on why xUnit did not add the string message.

Interesting choice. I tend to agree that tests *should* be
self-explanatory. But not everyone who runs our tests also reads their
code. Hence, having some error message that they can understand seems
useful to me.

> Personally I do not like using Assert.True instead of Assert.Equal.
> We should instead create our own assertion for equals with message?

What would we loose in this approach? Tooling support? Or is it "just"
the effort of writing, maintaining and using those Asserts?

Markus