reef-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Weimer <mar...@weimo.de>
Subject Re: using NamedParameter to implement a no-arg boolean command-line option
Date Fri, 04 Dec 2015 18:48:03 GMT
On 2015-12-04 09:53, Tobin Baker wrote:
> The need is simple: if my launcher is invoked by "yarn jar", I should
> use the YARN runtime, and the local runtime otherwise.

Ah, yes, that makes sense. We've so far "solved" this with two different
`main()` methods and classes: One for local runs, one for YARN runs.

> I like your idea of a "runtime string" exposed by appropriate
> interfaces in the client/driver/evaluators.

Maybe we can do even better than that by providing structured
information via those interfaces, including:

  * Runtime name
  * Runtime version
  * A string describing the environment (e.g. Linux, Windows, ...))
  * A string that captures the main configuration parameters, for
    logs etc.
  * A runtime string that describes all of the above.

How does this sound?

Markus