reef-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Weimer <wei...@apache.org>
Subject Development process on Apache infrastructure
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2014 15:27:55 GMT
Hi,

later today, I will take the GitHub repositories read-only such that Sergiy
can work the git magic of fusing the Wake, Tang and REEF repositories into
one which will then be pushed onto ASF infrastructure.

Once there, we need to agree on a development cycle. To set the stage for
that discussion, consider how we structured work on GitHub:

   - Any material work was to be filled as an issue before starting to
   code.
   - We never commit to master. Use pull requests instead.
   - We don't self-commit these pull requests but instead assign them to
   another committer.

I'd like to preserve as much of that process as possible, as it has served
us well in the past. And these self-imposed rules have some natural match
on ASF infrastructure:

   - We file a JIRA issue before starting any material work.
   - We never commit to master.
   - We don't self-merge changes to master.

Where I am unclear is how changes get staged for review. I see two options
for this:

   1. Create a branch with the changes, push it to ASF GitHub and reference
   that branch in the JIRA when we ask for a code review.
   2. Post a patch to JIRA

Which one do we want to do? Is there a third? Maybe the mentors can way in
on this?

Thanks,

Markus