reef-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Weimer <markus.wei...@outlook.com>
Subject Accepting Pull Requests on GitHub
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2014 00:10:39 GMT
Hi,
Apache INFRA has set up a GitHub mirror for us. You can find it at:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-reef
Note that this is a one way mirror: Whatever gets committed into the Apache GIT will show
up on GitHub, but we have no write-access to the GitHub version. Nevertheless, you might want
to add this repository as a remote to your local repository via
$ git remote add github_apache https://github.com/apache/incubator-reef
And while you are at it, renaming origin also seems like a good idea:
$ git remote rename origin apache
As you can see on the Apache GitHub page, there have been two pull requests accepted into
Apache REEF already.
The mechanism to do so is somewhat cumbersome, but workable. The person wanting to do a PR
needs to fork the Apache REEF GitHub repository, change the code in that fork and file a PR
against the Apache GitHub. So far, this is standard GitHub fare and not new to those of you
outside Microsoft.
Actually merging the pull request is very different, though. As mentioned above, we do not
have write access to the Apache REEF GitHub mirror. This prevents us from (1) merging the
PR and (2) closing it. Both of these can be addressed via the following protocol:
Pull the changes proposed in the pull request into a branch on your local repository.Rebase
that branch to the current apache/master. While doing so, please squash all commits into one
and add the line `closes #PRNUMBER` to the commit. Merge that local branch into apache/master
and push that to the Apache GIT
Step 2 is the crucial one here. Once the Apache GIT gets mirrored onto GitHub, the latter
will see this commit message (e.g. `closes #3`) and close the mentioned issue / PR in the
process. That way, we have (1) merged the changes into our code base and (2) closed the PR.
The details for these steps are well explained in the Git book's chapter 3.
In all of this, I suggest to be super-explicit: Mention the JIRA in the commit messages before
making the pull request, mentioning the pull request on the JIRA etc. You can see what we
have done to that end in the pull requests already there.
Happy merging!
Markus