rave-dev mailing list archives

From Jasha Joachimsthal <ja...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PageType
Date Sat, 07 Jul 2012 06:27:45 GMT
On 7 July 2012 00:43, Chris Geer <chris@cxtsoftware.com> wrote:

> I'm struggling with PageType at the moment. Right now it's an enum with
> three values defined: "USER", "PERSON_PROFILE" and "SUBPAGE". I have a need
> to create a new template page similar to Person Profile however there isn't
> really an easy way to create/reference that page. If I make a USER page it
> shows up as a tab and the other types don't really make sense. I realize I
> can overwrite the PageType class but that doesn't really feel like the best
> long term approach to stay in sync with Rave developments.
>
> I think there are two options:
> 1) Create another PageType called STATIC or something like that.
> 2) Add an attribute to the Page table to tell some User pages not to render
> as tabs. (This might make PERSON_PROFILE not needed as well)
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Chris

The reason behind the enum was that the page types are needed during the
initialisation of the portal. If you don't use the initial_data.sql script,
the portal couldn't start. See [RAVE-478]. The initial_data.sql cannot be
used for Oracle or PostgeSQL databases.
The enum is not flexible at all, so in the longer term we need a different
solution. The pagetypes can be brought back to the database if other
classes can handle an empty result, e.g. by using a default value if the
pagetype table does not contain any value.

[RAVE-478] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RAVE-478

Jasha