ranger-dev mailing list archives

From Sailaja Polavarapu <spolavar...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Ranger mvn build parameters...
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2018 18:37:32 GMT
Latest patch: https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12945681/0001-RANGER-2265-Added-all-the-modules-for-linux-profile-.patch

More analysis on the root cause of build failure on linux environment:
1. [ERROR] Could not find goal 'assembly' in plugin org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-assembly-plugin:3.0.0
among available goals help, single -> [Help 1]
	a. This error is because, for the linux profile, we are not specifying any maven-assembly-plugin
version. Hence "maven-assembly-plugin:3.0.0" is picked based on the maven version that is
available on the system. Before RANGER-2243 changes there is a common assembly-plugin section
with version 2.2-beta-5 (under pluginManagement section) in root pom.xml which is applied
for all the profiles by default. Hence this issue is not seen before RANGER-2243.
	b. Why this error is seen only on linux env, is because, according to maven documentation,
there are multiple ways to activate a particular profile and each are applied based on particular
priority. In pom.xml, any profile with <os> <family> is given higher priority
than the profile marked <activeByDefault> as true. <os><family> is computed
based on the environment the code is built/packaged. Since we have only one profile with <os>
<family> as linux, this profiles is applied only on the linux environments and is taking
precedence than "all" profile even though it is marked <activeByDefault> true. But in
mac environment, there is no other profile with <os> <family> that matches the
environment, "all" profile is used as the active profile.

2. Initial fix that is provided by Qiang Zhang (https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12945374/0001-RANGER-2265-To-make-the-profile-all-to-be-active-by-.patch)
	a. With this fix, the <os> <family> activation tag is removed. So the profile
that is marked <activeByDefault> true ("all" in this case) will be used as the active
profile for all the environments. But the issue with this patch is that, "unixauthnative"
module will not be built by default in the linux environments. In order to build "unixauthnative"
module on linux, "-Plinux" option has to be provided.

After doing some more research, in order to keep the default behavior consistent on all the
environments as pre RANGER-2243 changes, I think we need to create two different default profiles
for linux and non-linux environments. The latest patch I uploaded (https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12945681/0001-RANGER-2265-Added-all-the-modules-for-linux-profile-.patch)
contains those changes.
1. On non-linux environments, we have "all" profile which is marked <activeByDefault>
true. This profile builds/packages all the modules except "unixauthnative" module.
2. On linux environment, we have "linux" profile with <os> <family> activation
tag whis will be the default active profile. This profile builds/packages all the modules
including "unixauthnative" module.

Hope this explanation makes sense. If anyone has better suggestions, please feel free to provide.

Thanks,
Sailaja.