ranger-dev mailing list archives

From Nigel Jones <nigel.l.jo...@gmail.com>
Subject servicedef validation - implClass
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2018 14:24:34 GMT
We're currently writing a Ranger plugin for an open source virtual database driver known as
‘GaianDB’.

We have the basics of a plugin working, but today a colleague tried to setup our plugin, and
on their ranger install they could not create an instance of our ranger service, hitting the
error

"Gaian failed to find service class org.apache.ranger.services.gaiandb.RangerServiceGaian.
Resource lookup will not be available. Please make sure plugin jar is in the correct place.”

I had expected this to be a warning (fair enough), but it actually prevents the UI from saving
the service instance, and so Gaian related policies cannot be created.

They got this on I think a) an old 0.6.x build, and 0.7.1.
Meanwhile I had been using a HDP 2.6.3 setup, which comes with 0.7.0 and with the same service
definition did NOT of course hit this error.

We haven’t actually deployed any plugin code to the ranger server (yet) since we have not
implemented the resource lookup capability. We had though specified an implClass in the servicedef.
It’s a later task :-)

Looking at the ranger code in ServiceMgr.java it seems as if an empty string should cause
ranger to use a default class. We tried this, as well as specifying the org.apache.ranger.plugin.service.RangerDefaultService
class, but had the same error in both cases. I was though looking at code in master and see
there have been a few changes

Any suggestions as to how to persuade 0.7.0 to load the servicedef (other than implement the
class required, albeit a no-op one…?), or an explanation as to why we might see different
behaviour?

I’m setting up a ranger install off master to debug/check latest code….

For info the servicedef begins:
{
  "id":99,
  "name": "gaian",
  "implClass": "org.apache.ranger.services.gaiandb.RangerServiceGaian",
  "label": "Gaian",
  "description": "Gaian",
  "options": {
    "enableDenyAndExceptionsInPolicies": "true"
  },
    "guid": "86d10748-e4fc-442b-8991-f6a727054ece",

  "resources": [
The full version can be found in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RANGER-1699 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RANGER-1699>
- see the latest attachment. Not as a patch as currently getting things working in a diff.
Build tree

If it seems like a bug (rather than a newbie error or specific to hdp) let me know and I’ll
open a jira!

Many thanks
Nigel.