ranger-dev mailing list archives

From Velmurugan Periasamy <vperias...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Ranger and Ambari Infra Solr (or another Solr install) - OOM
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2017 21:58:15 GMT
This is a good idea. Thanks Kevin. Please go ahead with JIRA. Adding dev list.

From: Kevin Risden <krisden@apache.org<mailto:krisden@apache.org>>
Date: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 at 4:52 PM
To: "user@ranger.apache.org<mailto:user@ranger.apache.org>" <user@ranger.apache.org<mailto:user@ranger.apache.org>>
Subject: Ranger and Ambari Infra Solr (or another Solr install) - OOM

Ranger uses Ambari Infra Solr (or another Apache Solr install) for storing Ranger Audit events
for displaying in Ranger Admin. In our case, we have noticed quite a few Ambari Infra Solr
OOM due to Ranger. I've talked with a few other people who are having very similar problems
with OOM errors.

I've typed up some details about how the way Ranger is using Solr requires a lot of heap.
I've also outlined the fix for this which significantly reduced the amount of heap memory
required. I'm an Apache Lucene/Solr committer so this optimization/usage might not be immediately
obvious to those using Solr especially version 5.x.

https://risdenk.github.io/2017/12/18/ambari-infra-solr-ranger.html

I can open a JIRA issue if this would be helpful to fix the managed-schema shipped with Ranger.
This would also be something that should be fixed upstream with Ambari if possible when deploying
Ranger and Ambari Infra Solr.

Kevin Risden