quickstep-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Quickstep paper
Date Sun, 18 Mar 2018 00:06:29 GMT
ApacheCon is for the community, so keynotes are chosen entirely on merit. Bigger audience than
the regular talks, but fewer minutes, and it would be good if there are larger themes than
simply what the project does.

I recommend that you submit a keynote and a regular talk. If people enjoy the keynote they
will come to the regular talk to hear more details. Writing an abstract doesn’t take very
long.

Julian

> On Mar 17, 2018, at 4:59 PM, J. M. Patel <jmp.quickstep@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Team: I'm starting to work on the abstract for this (will circulate it soon).
>
> Apache Con has two options for talk submission: Keynote and Standard. I'm thinking of
submitting to the Keynote category. Any comments? I figured go-big-or-go-home.

see if Marc can help if he has settled down from the recent excitement (https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/25/ford-acquires-autonomic-and-transloc-as-it-evolves-its-mobility-business/).

> Cheers,
> Jignesh
>
> On 2/13/18, 10:09 PM, "J. M. Patel" <jmp.quickstep@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>    Good tips Julian!
>
>    Cheers,
>    Jignesh
>
>    On 2/9/18, 6:00 PM, "Julian Hyde" <jhyde@apache.org> wrote:
>
>        ApacheCon is a good opportunity to attract community, so I suggest you think of
the talk as a sales pitch. You need to convince members of the audience to use Quickstep in
their application or data engine, and then to start contributing. The fact that the Quickstep
is high-performance is necessary but not sufficient. You also need to demonstrate that it
is easy to use Quickstep in their project. From your talk by all means reference your research
and experiments to back up your assertions about speed etc.

>        Julian
>

>> On Feb 8, 2018, at 5:00 PM, J. M. Patel <jmp.quickstep@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Quicksteppers: VLDB (research track) has accepted a paper on Quickstep. The
current (temporary) version of the paper is at: http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~jignesh/publ/quickstep.pdf
If any of you have feedback, please reply to this email.