quickstep-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: We really need to get going with the podling report
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2017 20:08:22 GMT
In answer to the “How does the podling rate their maturity?”. The incubator report used
to have categories "Ready to Graduate", “Some Community Growth", "No Release" and "Still
Getting Started.” Out of these, I think “No release” fits best. You can add that the
first release is well under way.

"We will have our first release this week” is a bit optimistic. Remember you need to create
a release candidate, pass a vote on the Quickstep list (which takes 3 working days), repeat
if there is a problem with the RC, and then pass a vote on the incubator list (which takes
3 working days). Again, the incubator vote might fail, and in fact probably will the first
or second time.

A true statement is “we are almost ready to start a vote on our first release candidate”.

Julian

> On Mar 2, 2017, at 11:04 AM, Harshad Deshmukh <harshad@cs.wisc.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Roman,
>
> Apologies for the delay. I am not sure how to address two of these questions, hence left
them blank. Any inputs in that regard should be helpful. Can you please review the following
report?

> *   Your project name
> Apache (incubating) Quickstep
>
> *   A brief description of your project, which assumes no knowledge of
>    the project or necessarily of its field
> Apache Quickstep is high-performance database engine designed to exploit the full potential
> of hardware that is packed in modern computing boxes (servers and laptops).
> The initial version targets single-node in-memory environments.
>
> *   A list of the three most important issues to address in the move
>    towards graduation.
> 1) Building a Quickstep community
> 2) More adoption of the Quickstep technology
> 3) Making the technology easier to understand and use
>
> *   Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be
>    aware of
> None
>
> *   How has the community developed since the last report
>
> *   How has the project developed since the last report.
>
> We will have our first release this week. Since the last report,
>
> 1) We have made several changes to the code base.
> Some highlights are: Cleaning up the third party library code as per the Apache hygiene,
improve the code performance by adding several novel features.

> 2) Preparation for release -
> Created scripts and step by step procedural documentation for how to make a Quickstep
release. Scripts have been added to the main repo while documentation is on confluence.
> We went through several release candidates. During this period, we identified some usability
issues on our supported platforms and fixed them. Quickstep is now on schedule for a release
later this week.