quickstep-dev mailing list archives

From Jignesh Patel <jmp.quicks...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: release announcement + thinking about demos
Date Sat, 25 Mar 2017 22:02:52 GMT
Great idea Marc about making an announcement. And a big CONGRATULATIONS to you, the team and
our mentors for getting us here. This is a huge accomplishment!!

Building on Harshad’s idea for a terse description, how about: High performance auto-managed
SQL data processing platform that can be used in a variety of settings, including serverless
frameworks.

IMHO, I think the self-managed/zero-knobs approach aspect of Quickstep is quite timely given
the next evolution beyond traditional micro-services (which really never did data quite right).
We need to emphasize it more centrally going forward, I think.

More concretely, I’m wondering if it might make sense to put a demo together with Airflow
or TensorFlow to highlight this aspect of Quickstep. We can pick a general-purpose programming
language, such as Python, and generate a simple API to Quickstep from that language. The serverless
nature of Quickstep means there is zero configuration needed. This is sweet for rapid prototyping,
and even more.

Assuming we have a Python API (both TensorFlow and Airflow are friendly to this API), we can
think of building a data workflow that has some aspect of data ingest, cleaning, selecting/subsetting,
and model building. Quickstep could be used in the data-heavy portions.

What would be so cool about this demo? Imagine the data is stored in a cloud file system.
Load up this workflows in a container and it works without any database configuration (you
can’t get that with any other data platform that I can think of). Want to upgrade? Simply
spin up a container with more resources, rerun the pipeline. Quickstep auto-detects, auto-scales,
and does not require any parameter tuning. Zero knobs is ideal for such deployments that I
think are crucial, and not just for “toy” settings. Today you can go get a 64core boxes
with TB memory for about a dollar/hour (if you allow pre-emption). You can do a lot in that
box, and Quickstep can help.

I think a few demos may get more people interested in Quickstep. Comments? Other ideas?

Cheers,
Jignesh