quickstep-dev mailing list archives

From Harshad Deshmukh <hars...@cs.wisc.edu>
Subject Re: Release publicity
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2017 01:01:53 GMT
Hi Julian,

Those are some great points, I will keep them in mind.

On 03/27/2017 10:41 PM, Julian Hyde wrote:
> Here’s my 2 cents on publicity: do a little and often, and use lots of pictures.
>
> Very few people are tuned into the first broadcast of a new radio station, but more people
tune in over time if there is regular good content. So, don’t bust a gut trying to make
huge splash for the release. Make a short factual post about the release. Then work on some
more content (say a demo, or a brief video of a demo).

> In both tweets and blog posts, a graphic helps get your message across. So, aim to have
an architecture slide ready to tweet in 1 or 2 weeks. And a slide about Quickstep’s memory
format (or whatever) in a week after that.

> Also, do a tweet and a blog post each time a significant feature lands in Quickstep (hopefully
at least 2 or 3 per release).

> Julian
>

>> On Mar 27, 2017, at 8:25 PM, Harshad Deshmukh <harshad@cs.wisc.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Hello folks,
>>
>> I am making some noise (a.k.a publicity) about our release on various forums. Please
help us spread the word:

>> Hacker news: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13962876 Honestly, this is my first
post on HN, so I am not sure how it works. I guess you need to upvote it to make it more visible?

>> Twitter: https://twitter.com/ApacheQuickstep There are a couple of new tweets. We
should probably have a better twitter bio for the project. Right now it is very brief "Democratizing
Data Analytics". Any suggestions?

>> I am also writing a blog post on the various storage formats in Quickstep and how
to create them through CREATE statements. I somehow couldn't get jekyll working on my machine.

--
Thanks,
Harshad