quickstep-dev mailing list archives

From Harshad Deshmukh <hars...@cs.wisc.edu>
Subject Re: release: third_party/
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2017 19:57:50 GMT
 > Also, since you’re relying on the latest googletest, protobuf and re2
your release will work today and will break at some point in the future.
That’s not OK. A release can depend only on releases, not snapshots or
live repositories.

Thanks for pointing that. It is possible to fetch a particular release
(based on its commit ID) of the submodule. We will add the release
commit ID to the git submodule file.

On 01/05/2017 01:44 PM, Julian Hyde wrote:
> Git sub-modules are useful, I agree. But for a source release, the goal is that someone
should be able to download the source tar-ball and go:

> $ curl -O …/apache-quickstep-x.x-incubating.tar.gz
> $ tar xvfz apache-quickstep-x.x-incubating.tar.gz
> $ cd apache-quickstep-x.x-incubating/build
> $ ./download-thirdparty.sh
> $ cmake etc.
>
> I tried to find other Apache projects that use git submodules and see what they do for
source releases. Not much luck. Maybe someone else can find something.

> Also, since you’re relying on the latest googletest, protobuf and re2 your release
will work today and will break at some point in the future. That’s not OK. A release can
depend only on releases, not snapshots or live repositories.

> Julian
>

>> On Jan 5, 2017, at 11:03 AM, Harshad Deshmukh <harshad@cs.wisc.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the review Julian.
>>
>> For some of the third party libraries used in Quickstep (e.g. googletest, protobuf
and re2) we use the submodules feature of git. For such libraries, the developer has to initialize
the submodule only once, which pulls code from the third party repo to the Quickstep third
party directory.

>> I don't know of a centralized repo for C++ projects. Does the git submodule method
sound similar to the maven central approach you mentioned?

>> On 01/05/2017 12:43 PM, Julian Hyde wrote:
>>> I took a quick look at third_party and there don’t seem to be any binaries
in there. That’s good. You definitely cannot include binaries in a source release.

>>> The more you can remove from third_party, the better. It doesn’t have to be
done this release, but the less IP there is to review, the easier for everyone.

>>> Consider pulling from an external source the first time the developer builds
in a sandbox, then apply patches. The patches will be the only thing checked in to quickstep.
(My expertise is in Java projects, which these days get their dependencies from a Maven repo
such as Maven central; I don’t know whether there is an equivalent place to pull C and C++
source code. Might be worth a review of what other C and C++ based Apache projects do for
their third-party dependencies.)

>>> Julian

The

--