quickstep-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: release: third_party/
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2017 21:07:52 GMT
Better still, make a release depend only releases. Snapshots and even
commit IDs can disappear.

And consider the state of the IP. In Apache and many other open source
projects, the IP is only guaranteed "clean" when it has been formally
released.

Sorry this is all painful. But conversely, this is the value-add of
making a release.

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 11:57 AM, Harshad Deshmukh <harshad@cs.wisc.edu> wrote:
>> Also, since you’re relying on the latest googletest, protobuf and re2 your
>> release will work today and will break at some point in the future. That’s
>> not OK. A release can depend only on releases, not snapshots or live
>> repositories.
>
> Thanks for pointing that. It is possible to fetch a particular release
> (based on its commit ID) of the submodule. We will add the release commit ID
> to the git submodule file.
>

> On 01/05/2017 01:44 PM, Julian Hyde wrote:
>>
>> Git sub-modules are useful, I agree. But for a source release, the goal is
>> that someone should be able to download the source tar-ball and go:
>>
>> $ curl -O …/apache-quickstep-x.x-incubating.tar.gz
>> $ tar xvfz apache-quickstep-x.x-incubating.tar.gz
>> $ cd apache-quickstep-x.x-incubating/build
>> $ ./download-thirdparty.sh
>> $ cmake etc.
>>
>> I tried to find other Apache projects that use git submodules and see what
>> they do for source releases. Not much luck. Maybe someone else can find
>> something.
>>
>> Also, since you’re relying on the latest googletest, protobuf and re2 your
>> release will work today and will break at some point in the future. That’s
>> not OK. A release can depend only on releases, not snapshots or live
>> repositories.
>>
>> Julian
>>

>>> On Jan 5, 2017, at 11:03 AM, Harshad Deshmukh <harshad@cs.wisc.edu>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for the review Julian.
>>>
>>> For some of the third party libraries used in Quickstep (e.g. googletest,
>>> protobuf and re2) we use the submodules feature of git. For such libraries,
>>> the developer has to initialize the submodule only once, which pulls code
>>> from the third party repo to the Quickstep third party directory.
>>>
>>> I don't know of a centralized repo for C++ projects. Does the git
>>> submodule method sound similar to the maven central approach you mentioned?

Google.