quickstep-dev mailing list archives

From Harshad Deshmukh <hars...@cs.wisc.edu>
Subject Re: Travis CI 50-minute Timeout
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2016 18:14:35 GMT
Hi Zuyu,

My understanding of continuous integration is that the PR reviewer
should be rest assured that the code works correctly and he or she can
focus on the reviewing aspect. I agree that if the tests pass in release
build, they should in principle also pass in the debug builds. I don't
have a convincing example to show why such debug asserts are important
and when can a test pass despite a debug assert failing.

When I am doing development on Quickstep, I typically use a local debug
build, but only one configuration (e.g. VECTOR_COPY_ELISION flag set to
none or selection). If we take out debug builds out of Travis, how can
the reviewer be assured that I have tested all the configurations? Also,
it is time consuming. Hence, Travis.

To summarize, I would mention two points:
1. I am suggesting that we use those debug build configurations on
travis which have not been timing out. For the remaining configurations,
we should rely on the developer testing them out on their local machine.
Meanwhile, we should think of speeding up builds for those configs which
are timing out.
2. Let us not unilaterally change the CI configurations, unless there is
a consensus.

--
Thanks,
Harshad