quickstep-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jhyde.apa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Delay in showing a branch on GitHub mirror
Date Sat, 05 Nov 2016 19:40:13 GMT
What do other folks think? There's nothing in Apache policy that prevents you from taking pull
requests from the Apache account, so that can definitely be an option, if you want. What do
you think works best for you and the community?

Julian

PS If you agree, Apache custom is to reply "+1". Silence doesn't indicate assent, it indicates
apathy :)

> On Nov 5, 2016, at 12:15 PM, Harshad Deshmukh <harshad@cs.wisc.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Julian,
>
> No, there's no such policy. I think majority of the contributors use their individual
GitHub accounts and also initiate pull request from the same. Some of us started with the
practice of using Apache repo and continue to do so. If using individual GitHub accounts is
preferred we all can switch to that mode.

>> On 11/05/2016 12:45 PM, Julian Hyde wrote:
>> Regarding my other point: does Quickstep have a policy that pull requests should,
or must, come from the Apache github account? If so, can you see how that would tend to discourage
people from joining the community? Because only committers are able to push to Apache.

>> Several projects use "feature branches", where multiple developers need to collaborate
over a long period, and of course a branch or tag per release, but other than that, branches
in the Apache repo are quite unusual.

>> Julian
>>
>>> On Nov 4, 2016, at 11:25 AM, Harshad Deshmukh <harshad@cs.wisc.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Julian, your suggestion worked!

only shows up when you make a commit on it. So maybe make a trivial commit.

pull request. You can make a pull request from your own personal GitHub fork. That’s usually
the right thing to do.

11 hours ago. That branch is still not showing up on the GitHub mirror. Has any one else experienced
similar issue? Without the branch showing up on GitHub, I can't create a pull request for
it.