quickstep-dev mailing list archives

From Jignesh Patel <jmp.quicks...@gmail.com>
Subject Outreach
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2016 15:02:56 GMT
I’m hoping to get some feedback from the general developers list on potential outreach activities
for the project. To set the background for this discussion, Quickstep became an Apache project
earlier this year. Nearly all the people on the project are relatively new to the Apache way
of doing things (I certainly am, and I’m still learning various aspect of the Apache way).

Our mentors have been very helpful and rightly point out that we need to do more by way of
outreach. This would include (but not limited to) doing things like:

#1: Making a release

#2: Writing blogs about the project

#3: Going to meetups and conferences like Apache Con to make a presentation about the project
(we can find ways to fund these meetings).

#4: Using the dev list more actively, even if it is to discuss interesting observations that
we make – e.g. tried the new Xcode, and ran into the following issues.

Note on #4, I personally feel that we have a lot of active discussions. But, our primary mechanism
is via Jiras and the discussion on the PRs. They are quite lively at times, and it is fantastic
that people express their views in a respectful way but are not shy to point out any critical
comments that they may have. We need to keep doing this. All those comments do go to the dev
lists, but we should also talk about other things like what we think would be great to work
on next, and/or just announce what topics you may be working on.

So, the main question in this email is: Are there folks on this list who want to help with
building the Quickstep community in the ways described above? If you are interested, can you
let this group know what you might want to help with. Also free free to pitch any ideas that
you may have to help build the community. The main point is to get more people excited about
the project in any role (including developers, users, …) and to share responsibilities for
the core direction of the project.

One concrete proposal is to go make a release in about a month. I’m happy to help with that.
Anyone else wants to help out? Now you may ask – what does it take to do a release? I honestly
don’t know. But, we have to go read up on that, bug the mentors, and figure it out. All
that is part of helping build an Apache community.

Cheers,

Jignesh