quickstep-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: 5 things
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2016 22:33:54 GMT
To pile on top of great feedback from Julian, I'd like to add that until
you have your first official release the Download button has to be
taken down and replaced with 'how to build/etc.' page on the website
or a wiki page.

Thanks,
Roman.

<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-quickstep-dev/> and to JIRA https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QUICKSTEP
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QUICKSTEP>.

> Also please add an incubation disclaimer, same as in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QUICKSTEP-1
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QUICKSTEP-1>.

> I agree with the other things on your TODO list but let’s also add making a release
to the list.

> Can you use apache terminology (PPMC, committers, contributors) rather than “core contributors”
/ “collaborators”.

> Julian
>

>> On Jul 14, 2016, at 10:41 AM, Jignesh Patel <jmp.quickstep@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Quickstep-pers:
>>

>> A bunch of comments/updates.
>>

>> #1: The initial project website is up at http://quickstep.incubator.apache.org. It
is really early and still needs a lot of work.

>> #2: There is now a quickstart guide in the main repo: https://github.com/apache/incubator-quickstep/blob/master/README.md
Again lots of work to do, but it is a start.

>> #3: We need a more pages/writeup to cover more of the basics, which includes at least
a “Supported SQL surface” and additional examples. Will work on this as I can steal time.
Volunteers are of course welcome!

>> #4: We need to write a better developer guide; i.e. improve the intro to dev at https://github.com/apache/incubator-quickstep/blob/master/DEV_README.md.
I know the code is well-commented, but we should be making it easier to welcome new developers.
We can also provide a list of relatively simple projects that new developers could take on.
Ideas here are welcome.

>> #5: We need a guide for the developer community governance. Below is a starting point.
>>

>> As usual comments welcome!
>>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Jignesh
>>

>> Quickstep is a data platform that is written in C++ and uses advanced C++ techniques
including template meta-programming and various abstractions to balance high-performance with
extensibility. Thus, a good grasp over C++ concepts is essential for a Quickstep developer.

>> Quickstep has a set of core contributors who are collectively the stewards of the
project. In addition, there is a set of general contributors who contribute individual changes.
The initial list of core and general contributors is listed below.

>> Core contributors can close pull requests, except pull requests that they have created
(which must be examined and closed by another core contributor). Anyone can open a pull request
and once a pull request has been accepted that committer becomes part of the general contributors
group.

>> A general contributor can become a core contributor by getting support from at least
two core contributors. It is expected that a general contributor will have demonstrated proficiency
in understanding and working with the core engine to become part of the core contributors
group.

>> To maintain membership in the core contributors group, the contributor must be active
in the project in the preceding 6-month period. Membership of the core contributors is examined
and determined bi-annually by the Apache Quickstep PPMC.