quickstep-dev mailing list archives

From Jignesh Patel <jipa...@pivotal.io>
Subject Re: [FINAL DRAFT] Incubator PMC Board Report - June 2016 -- feedback
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2016 13:15:34 GMT
Hi Julian and Marvin: Changes made to https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/June2016 <https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/June2016>.
Thanks for the feedback!

Good to know about not using wiki markup. The wiki edit page is confusing as it shows in the
bottom pane the markup syntax. That seems to encourage writers to consider using makeup to
make it easier to read the report. If it is not too hard, may be worth mentioning that writers
should not use markup perhaps right upfront in the wiki (and that can be taken out just before
the final report is filed), or simply not showing the hints for markup. Just a thought in
case it helps other incubators.

Cheers,
Jignesh

> On Jun 6, 2016, at 9:01 PM, Julian Hyde <jhyde@apache.org> wrote:
>
> For those of you not on general@incubator, forwarding Marvin Humphrey’s comments on
Quickstep’s report.

> (I recommend that PPMC members join general@incubator… you will learn a lot about incubation
& the Apache way.)

> Julian
>

>> On Jun 6, 2016, at 6:40 PM, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
>>
>>> --------------------
>>> Quickstep
>>>
>>> Modern servers pack enough storage and computing power that just a decade
>>> ago was spread across a modest-sized cluster. Given that we are on a
>>> technological path to continue to increase the storage and compute densities
>>> of individual server nodes, we must complement methods that focus on
>>> '''scaling-out''' by also developing methods to '''scale-in''' to fully
>>> exploit the hardware capabilities that is packed in each server node. The
>>> initial phase of the Quickstep project focuses on this scaling-in aspect.
>>> Quickstep uses novel methods for organizing data (including columnar and
>>> hybrid storage organization), template metaprogramming for vectorized query
>>> execution, and a query execution paradigm that separate control-flow from
>>> data-flow. Collectively, these methods achieve high performance on
>>> contemporary servers with multi-socket, multi-core processors and large main
>>> memory configurations. To keep the project focused, the project’s initial
>>> target is interactive in-memory data warehousing workloads in single-node
>>> settings. In the near future we plan to expand from this initial single-node
>>> focus to a distributed setting. Early results indicate that Quickstep is
>>> over an order-of-magnitude faster than existing platforms including Spark
>>> 2.0 and PostgreSQL 9.6 Beta1 (that now has parallel query processing).
>>
>> The description of Quickstep is longer than it needs to be and shouldn't
>> contain wiki markup.  Please edit podlings.xml.
>>
>>> Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
>>>
>>> 1. Acquire early adopters
>>> 2. Acquire early adopters