quickstep-dev mailing list archives

From Hakan Memisoglu <hakanmemiso...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Travis limit of 4GB
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2016 05:20:19 GMT
Hi,

I tried to switch Ubuntu Trusty in our Travis box while trying to change
GCC version. As far as I remember, the overall build time deteriorated a
lot (since it is a VM instead of a Docker container). However, it is
worth trying it again.

On 06/01/2016 11:33 PM, Jignesh Patel wrote:
> When working with features that touch our template meta-programming framework, sometimes
some of our builds fail. Why? Because Travis has a 4GB memory+swap limit, and when compiling
with aggressive vector copy elision, the underlying VM runs of of memory (happens more often
with gcc than clang).

> I was looking around to see if other projects have hit this problem. I found the following
link: https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci/issues/2904 <https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci/issues/2904>.
At the bottom of the page there are two posts that are interesting. One can shut off pre-started
database, or more interestingly we can switch to using the Ubuntu Trusty beta <https://blog.travis-ci.com/2015-10-14-opening-up-ubuntu-trusty-beta/>
by adding the following lines to our .travis.yml <https://github.com/apache/incubator-quickstep/blob/master/.travis.yml>
file:
> sudo: required
> dist: trusty
> This gives us a 2 vCPU box with 7.5GB of memory! Thereby giving us a lot more room to
push the template framework if needed. Space during compilation is a silly thing to worry
about especially if it changes what would have been a good design for a feature. So, its is
good to know that we have options if we hit the 4GB limit in Travis.