quickstep-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: When do you think you can fully transition to ASF infrastructure?
Date Tue, 10 May 2016 22:23:09 GMT
It’s a question of priority. Let’s not let the low priority stuff block the important stuff.
Moving source control is urgent. I haven’t yet heard a reason why CI should delay moving
source control.

> On May 10, 2016, at 3:15 PM, Jignesh Patel <jipatel@pivotal.io> wrote:
>
> Dear Julian,
>
> You do make a good point, but we have a very heavy reliance on the CI and it will certainly
help the transition.

> Since other Apache projects do have a Travis CI, Zuyu has reached out to Roman to see
if we can set this up.

> Agreed about the points that both you and Roman are making — we do need to move fully
to ASF soon. Thanks for your patience.

> Cheers,
> Jignesh
>
>> On May 9, 2016, at 1:27 AM, Julian Hyde <jhyde@apache.org> wrote:
>>

>>> On May 8, 2016, at 8:39 PM, Zuyu Zhang <zzhang@pivotal.io> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, we need fix QUICKSTEP-2 before transiting to ASF.
>>
>> I disagree. It is much more important that you use ASF infrastructure for source
control than for CI, and the one does not block the other.

>> At Calcite it took a long time before we had CI running on ASF infrastructure. We
continued to use Travis-CI, which we’d used before ASF.

>> As Roman says, it is important for IP hygiene that commits are made directly to ASF
git, and the sooner you switch over the better. I think you can do that before you transition
CI.