quickstep-dev mailing list archives

From Jignesh Patel <jipa...@pivotal.io>
Subject Re: Podling Report Reminder - May 2016
Date Thu, 26 May 2016 03:32:50 GMT
Great point Julian and thanks for the prod.

Here is the first cut. Comments welcome! Will populate the wiki after collecting feedback
from this group.

———————————

Your project name: Quickstep

A brief description of your project: Modern servers pack enough storage and computing power
that just a decade ago was spread across a modest-sized cluster. Given that we are on a technological
path to continue to increase the storage and compute densities of individual server nodes,
we must complement methods that focus on ``scaling-out'' by also developing methods to ``scale-in''
to fully exploit the hardware capabilities that is packed in each server node. The initial
phase of the Quickstep project focuses on this scaling-in aspect. Quickstep uses novel methods
for organizing data (including columnar and hybrid storage organization), template metaprogramming
for vectorized query execution, and a query execution paradigm that separate control-flow
from data-flow. Collectively, these methods achieve high performance on contemporary servers
with multi-socket, multi-core processors and large main memory configurations. To keep the
project focused, the project’s initial target is interactive in-memory data warehousing
workloads in single-node settings. In the near future we plan to expand from this initial
single-node focus to a distributed setting. Early results indicate that Quickstep is over
an order-of-magnitude faster than existing platforms including Spark 2.0 and PostgreSQL 9.6
Beta1 (that now has parallel query processing).

A list of the three most important issues to address in the move  towards graduation:
#1: Acquire early adopters
#2: Acquire early adopters
#3: Acquire early adopters
(We know it is that important!)

Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be  aware of: None

How has the community developed since the last report: We were incubated into Apache recently,
and the developers are actively learning about the Apache way from two amazing mentors!

How has the project developed since the last report: This is the first report.